PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 17 mins
TOTAL TIME: 27 mins
Tender, not-too-sweet breakfast cookies made with bananas, flax seed, oat flour, rolled oats, almond meal and lots of dark chocolate chips. Gluten free and vegan!
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
Serves: 26 cookies
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp flaxseed + 5 Tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup natural, salted peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
- 2 Tbsp refined coconut oil, melted (or canola oil)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp agave nectar (or sub maple syrup, or honey if not vegan)
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup oat flour (ground from GF oats)
- 1/2 cup almond meal (ground from raw almonds)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch sea salt (add more or less depending on saltiness of your PB)
- 3 Tbsp raw walnuts, lightly crushed (or sub other nut)
- 1/2 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips (non-dairy for vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine flax seed and water and let rest for 5 minutes to achieve “eggy” texture.
- Mash in the bananas until well combined, and then add peanut butter, baking powder, baking soda, melted coconut oil, agave nectar, salt, vanilla and stir.
- Add oats, almond meal and oat flour and mix well.
- Add chocolate chips and walnuts and stir until well combined. Refrigerate for 5 minutes to harden.
- Drop cookies by spoonfuls on a lightly greased baking sheet – they won’t expand much. Also make them as uniform in size as possible to ensure even baking.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the cookies are slightly golden brown.
- Let rest on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. After completely cooled, store in an air-tight container to keep fresh for up to a few days. Refrigerate or freezer for even longer storage time.